Become a SABR member today!
If you're interested in baseball — writing about it, reading about it, talking about it — there's a place for you in the Society for American Baseball Research. Any baseball fan is eligible to become a SABR member.
An annual SABR membership is $65 (which works out to about $5 a month), with discounts available for three-year rates and for anyone under the age of 30 or over 65. Family memberships are also available.
SABR membership is on a "rolling" calendar system; that means your membership lasts 365 days no matter when you sign up! Enjoy all the benefits of SABR membership by signing up today.
SABR was formed in 1971 in Cooperstown, New York, with the mission of fostering the research and dissemination of the history and record of the game. Our members include everyone from academics to professional sportswriters to amateur historians and statisticians to students and casual fans who merely enjoy reading about baseball history and occasionally gathering with other members to talk baseball.
SABR members have a variety of interests, and this is reflected in the diversity of its research committees. There are more than two dozen groups devoted to the study of a specific area related to the game — from Baseball and the Arts to Statistical Analysis to the Deadball Era to Women in Baseball. In addition, many SABR members meet formally and informally in regional chapters throughout the year and hundreds come together for the annual national convention, the organization's premier event. These meetings often include panel discussions with former major league players and research presentations by members.
Most of all, SABR members love talking baseball with like-minded friends. What unites them all is an interest in the game and joy in learning more about it.
Why join SABR? Here are some benefits of membership:
- Two issues of the Baseball Research Journal, which includes articles on history, biography, statistics, personalities, book reviews, and other aspects of the game.
- Expanded e-book edition of The National Pastime, our convention journal which focuses on baseball in the region where that year's national convention is held (in 2016, it’s Miami)
- "This Week in SABR" e-newsletters every Fridays, with the latest goings-on in SABR and highlighting SABR members' research
- New e-books we publish through the SABR Digital Library — free to all SABR members
- Regional chapter meetings, which can include guest speakers, presentations and trips to ballgames
- Online access to back issues of The Sporting News and other periodicals through Paper of Record
- Access to SABR's lending library and other research resources
- Online member directory to connect you with an international network of passionate baseball experts and fans
- Discount on registration to our annual conferences and National Convention
- Access to SABR-L, an e-mail discussion list of baseball questions and answers that many feel is worth the cost of membership itself
- The opportunity to be part of a passionate international community of baseball fans
Click here for a complete list of Member Benefits and what you receive for your annual dues.
Want more details? Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about getting the most out of your SABR membership.
- Give the gift of SABR: A SABR membership makes a great gift for the baseball fan in your life. Click here to learn more.
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to SABR:
If you support SABR and all the groundbreaking research our members have and will produce, please consider adding a donation when you join via our online options below. No amount is too big or too small. Every dollar goes toward helping all baseball fans learn more about the National Pastime and enjoy the game we love. SABR is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and all donations to SABR are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
You can add a donation when you sign up for SABR membership.
Or click below to support SABR’s overall operations: